Two major bike routes will be closed for a week in early January as tram tracks at the intersection of La Trobe and Swanston streets are replaced.
The streets will be closed to all traffic from the evening of Tuesday 2 January until 5am on Thursday 11 January 2024.
La Trobe Street will be closed between Elizabeth and Russell streets.
Swanston Street will be closed between Little La Trobe and Little Lonsdale streets.
Traffic management and signage will direct traffic, although significant disruption can be expected.
Riders are advised to divert from these streets well in advance of the works zone and to use alternative routes to get around and through the CBD.
Footpaths will remain open around the works area. There may be temporary footpath closures around the works and local detours will be in place.
Businesses located around the works area will remain open and pedestrian access will be available at all times.
The works will be underway 24 hours a day. Activities include:
- Kerb-to-kerb fencing along all sections of the site
- Excavating the road surface and tram tracks
- Installing new tracks
- During the upgrade of the tram tracks the tram crossover at the intersection of La Trobe and Swanston streets will be relocated
- Closure of the eastbound tram stop on La Trobe Street, opposite Melbourne Central
- Installation of a new temporary eastbound tram stop, opposite RMIT
- Widening the existing westbound tram stop, opposite State Library.
No block ID is set
Once the works are completed close out works such as permanent line marking may follow later.
The project is being undertaken by the Department of Transport and Planning, Yarra Trams and its contractors.
Later in the 2024 a major project to upgrade the tram stops in Latrobe Street will get underway.
Or become our friend and subscribe to receive our fortnightly newsletter.